Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Project #8 - Baby Tag Blanket


919 Days LeftRibbon Blanket

Cost Breakdown



Fabric: Free (from my stash)

Thread: Free (from my stash)

Notions: $10

Total Cost: $10


Project Rating

Difficulty: Easy

Enjoyability: Excellent
Time: Excellent
Final Product: Excellent

Overall Rating: Excellent




Every baby I know who has a ribbon blanket or a taggie blanket seems to LOVE them! So, I learned how to make them. They are the most amazing baby gift.




Materials:

Enough material to make two 18" squares. I recommend fleece or minky, but flannel might work well, too. 6 different corresponding ribbons of 22 1/2" each. I recommend different textures and widths of ribbons to be appealing to baby. Matching thread. Cutting mat and rotary cutter optional.



Other options: You will need a total of roughly 6 ribbons for each side of the blanket. You can choose 6 different ribbons and alternate around or you can use many different ribbons totaling 24 ribbons




Instructions:


  • Cut two 18" x 18" squares of the material.

  • Cut the ribbons into 5 1/2" strips. You should have four strips of each color.

  • With one square right side up, pin the ribbons around the square. I like symmetry, so my ribbons are in order.

  • With a 1/4" seam allowance, baste the ribbon to the right side of the square.

  • Place the other square over the one you just basted, right sides together.

  • Sew around with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving a gap to turn (I can turn this blanket with approximately 2 1/2" gap.)

  • Clip corners and turn.

  • Sew around the edge one more time with a 1/2" seam allowance.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Claudia, I just love your creations. You and sewing are like me and cooking. Make it as you go and it turns out splendid and delicious!!!

Can you make me a hat that resembles a brain? Peculiar request, perhaps, but good reason that I shall explain later.

Love and miss you dearie!

Kristen said...

Claudia,

A friend gave us one of these for Karis. Only difference is they put velcro on one of the ribbons to hold the binkie. We LOVE it! We never have to search for a tiny binkie, just find the binkie blankie! :)