Friday, August 26, 2011

Project 11 - Upcycled Pillow Case

758 Days Left
NOTE: I've already done a pillow case, but this pattern is different, so counts as a new project.

Cost Breakdown
Fabric: Free --I got this curtain to use in my windows, it didn't work for what I needed. Therefore, I'm not counting it towards my financial cost, since it's an upcycled product.
Thread: Free (from my stash)
Pattern: Free (Designed concept on my own)
Total Cost: $0.00

Project Rating
Difficulty: Easy
Enjoyability: Excellent
Time: Excellent - Start to finish took less than twenty minutes.
Final Product: Excellent
Overall Rating: Excellent

Materials: Curtain

Instructions: I have a body pillow that is so cozy and wonderful, but it's red. Not that I don't like red, but everything in my room is blue. This splash of red just wasn't good in my room. I had purchased curtains for all my windows, but this curtain panel had a long ribbon off it that I realized wouldn't be safe for the children. I couldn't use it as a curtain. I decided to use the curtain as a pillowcase for my body pillow.


  • First I folded the curtain in two and sight measured it compared to my pillow.


  • I cut the extra material off, leaving the other three sides. Since they were finished edges, I wouldn't have to hem them.


  • With the curtain folded in two with right-sides together, sew around two sides, including the raw edge. Leave the top open in order to put the pillow inside.


  • Surge or zigzag stitch the raw edge to prevent fraying.


  • Turn and insert pillow.

No comments: