Friday, August 26, 2011

Project 10 - Upcycled Ottoman Cover

758 Days Left
Upcycled Ottoman Cover


Cost Breakdown
Fabric: Free -- to me. The person acquired all the material at a thrift store for less than $20
Thread: Free (from my stash)
Pattern: Free (Designed concept on my own)
Total Cost: $0.00

Project Rating
Difficulty: Moderate
Enjoyability: Good - I was panicky about ruining the coat, thus ruining the whole project.
Time: Excellent - Start to finish took less than two hours.
Final Product: Excellent
Overall Rating: Excellent

Materials: A rectangular ottoman; an old leather coat, size 3XL


Instructions:

  • Val, my friend for whom I did this project, started out by conditioning the leather of the coat to make it supple and workable once more. According to her, it was in terrible shape before she did this.

  • Then we placed the coat over the ottoman to try to get a fit we liked.

  • We cut off the extra coat, including the sleeves.

  • Pin the corners of the ottoman.

  • Sew down the edges where the corners are.

  • Test for fit on ottoman. I found that my initial stitches were too big and needed to be taken in more.

  • We repeated the last step until the coat was the right size for the ottoman. Then, we covered the ottoman up.

  • I think Val then used a staple gun to tuck the extra material onto the bottom of the ottoman.

No comments: